The video is worth watching, perhaps several times considering the dense amount of information and the depth at which Dr. Lustig goes to prove his point. The downside is the video is about an hour and a half long.
For those without the time or patience to watch let me summarize as best I can:
- Fructose and Sucrose are only broken down (metabolized) by the liver, essentially they are alcohol but without the effects on the brain.
- Glucose is good, Sucrose is bad and Fructose is worse.
- Fructose and Sucrose are found in most beverages so that you can't taste the salt (Sodium) and because sweetness sells.
- They both inhibit your body's ability to suppress appetite which means you eat more. So you get extra calories in the sugar you consume and then you eat more.
- Similar properties to Ethanol.
- Can cause hypertension, gout and obesity.
What should you do? Most people can't avoid Sucrose and Fructose in most foods but you can do a few things:
- Avoid all sugary liquids. Drink water and milk (watch for added sugars)
- Wait 20 minutes before eating seconds - your body's ability to tell when it's full may be inhibited so give it time to adjust.
- Eat carbohydrates with fiber because fiber is an essential nutrient.
If you watch the video and think I missed anything please let me know.