To get virtual machines onto an ESXi server you need to import them via VMware Workstation and export them to the exact server. To do that:
- Open VMware Workstation.
- File > Import / Export which opens the conversion wizard.
- For Source Type select "Other" and browse to the VM you want to convert.
- Once selected you can choose to maintain the VM's original size or resize it.
- For Destination Type select VMware Infrastructure Virtual Machine.
- Then fill out the location and credentials to your VMware ESXi server.
- Name the new machine. (Note this is just the name found in vSphere and not the name of the actual machine).
- Select where you'd like to store the new VM.
- Confirm the network requirements.
- At this point you can customize more of your machine but I usually skip past this part.
- You can choose to power on the machine once it's been converted. Otherwise click Finish and let the
- Once the conversion process is finished you can close the converter and go to vSphere to view your VM.