- Attach a network cable and plug the router into a computer so you can use the Linksys web GUI (@ http://192.168.1.1)
- Download the openwrt-wrt54g-squashfs.bin firmware image file from http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09.1/brcm-2.4 folder or click here to download it directly.
- Save the file somewhere that's easily accessible.
- Using the same instructions provided on the OpenWrtDocs page open http://192.168.1.1/Upgrade.asp in your browser or manually browse to it.
- Upload the openwrt-wrt54g-squashfs.bin file
- Wait about 2 minutes. I think I clicked continue to reboot after about 2 minutes.
- You are done, now you just need to telnet to the router at 192.168.1.1
- Personally I like Putty for telnet but that's just me.
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Installation of OpenWRT on a Linksys 54GL
I recently installed OpenWRT on a Linksys 54GL Wireless Router so I could setup an additional gateway behind an existing internet connection. I used the OpenWrtDocs here but since I found the instructions a little unclear, I thought I would explain them a bit: